Signs of A Sewer Blockage
April 17, 2023
A sewer drain clog can be a serious issue that can result in a plumbing emergency or a potential health concern. Read below to learn more about how to prevent and treat sewer blockage.
Common Causes of a Sewer Blockage
● Aging Sewer systems
● Oil, grease, or fat build-up in the pipes. Avoid pouring these things down the kitchen sink.
● Flushing non-septic-safe items in the toilet. Such as wet wipes and feminine hygiene products.
● Old decaying sewer lines
● Tree roots growing into pipes
● Severe rain storms or flooding may back up the city's sewer lines.
Symptoms of a Sewer Blockage
Here are some tell-tale signs of a potential sewer issue:
● Gurgling sounds coming from drains
● Unusual odors coming from sinks, showers, or drains
● One or more drains moving slower than usual
● Water collection in the shower or bathtub
● Washing machine leaks
Blockage of sewer lines can cause water damage to your home. The contaminated water may also be hazardous to your health. Contact with sewer water or merely breathing the airborne contaminants can cause some of the following diseases:
● Hepatitis A
● Utilize the Drain Clean-Out: a special fitting or short pipe that is attached to the drain pipe. It usually has a square nut-like stub on the end. It is best to hire a professional plumber to do this. If you are in need of a plumbing company, DRYmedic recommends a Benjamin Franklin Plumber in your area!
● Repair broken pipe
● Consider a backflow valve
● Remove debris from the line with a plumbing auger
● Use a chemical cleaner (be sure there is not a safety hazard)
● Non-chemical cleaner (baking soda and lemon)
● High-pressure water jet
If your home or business was affected by a sewer blockage, you might have sewage water flood into the property. It is crucial that you do not come in contact with this water as it is classified under Category 3 of water damage. In this case, it is important to have a team of professional restorers clean up and disinfect the affected area. Cleaning Category 3 water yourself can be very harmful to your home and health.
DRYmedic Is Here To Help
If you have been affected by water damage, fire, mold, or asbestos, do not hesitate to reach out to the DRYmedic team regarding any questions you may have. DRYmedic’s mitigation team is reachable 24/7 with years of knowledge and the ability to arrive on-site rapidly!