Is It Mold Or Allergies?
Allergy season is upon us, have you been sniffling, sneezing and tearing up? If you had water damage during the winter or early spring, mold could have grown by now. So do you have allergies or are these symptoms of mold in your home?
Why Does Mold Make Us Sick?-
It's possible you could be allergic or sensitive to mold and you may not be aware. Mold releases spores into the air, which can be inhaled and absorbed into the skin. You do not have to be allergic to have reactions to mold, but it does determine the extent of your symptoms.
What Causes Allergies?-
Allergies occur when a foreign object is entered into the body, this could be from pollen, pet dander, or a food you specifically may be allergic to. Symptoms vary according to the allergen, but some symptoms are:
- Hay fever allergies:
- Itchy nose
- Runny, stuffy nose
- Watering and redness of the eyes
- Food allergies:
- Tingling of the mouth
- Swelling of the lips, tongue, throat or face
- Insect sting allergy:
- Swelling at the site
- Coughing, chest tightens, difficulty breathing
- Drug allergy:
- Itchy skin/ Rashes
- Face swelling
How Do I Know Which One Is Making Me Sick?-
So as you can see, allergies and symptoms of toxic mold are extremely similar. Some hintspointing to mold could be if you've had any leaks recently and the season, as it gets warmer mold grows more rapidly. Hair loss, fever, asthma attacks, vomiting and chronic fatigue are more significant signs that point towards mold, if you are experiencing these symptoms do not wait for the problem to grow, see a medical professional immediately.
How Can I Recover From Mold Poisoning?-
First things first, remove the mold. If there is enough mold in your home to make you sick, you are probably better off calling in a professional for the job. Some people suggest doing a detox but there isn't a proven medical detox routine. The best thing you can do is let the body detox itself, eat well, rest, you can also take an over the counter antihistamine to reduce some of your allergy symptoms.
(P.S) If you are thinking of buying a new home always make sure to get a mold test during inspection, some homeowners may not even be aware of it themselves!