Allergy season is upon us, have you been sniffling, sneezing and tearing up? If you had water damage during the winter or early spring, mold could have grown by now. So do you have allergies or are these symptoms of mold in your home?

Why Does Mold Make Us Sick?-

It's possible you could beallergic or sensitive to mold and you may not be aware.Mold releases sporesinto the air, which can be inhaled and absorbed into the skin. You do not have to be allergic to have reactions to mold, but it does determine the extent of your symptoms.

What Causes Allergies?-

Allergiesoccurwhen a foreign object is entered into the body, this could be from pollen, pet dander, or a food you specifically may be allergic to. Symptoms vary according to the allergen, but some symptoms are:

  • Hay fever allergies:
  • Sneezing
  • Itchy nose
  • Runny, stuffy nose
  • Watering and redness of the eyes
  • Food allergies:
  • Tingling of the mouth
  • Swelling of the lips, tongue, throat or face
  • Hives
  • Anaphylaxis
  • Insect sting allergy:
  • Swelling at the site
  • Hives
  • Coughing, chest tightens, difficulty breathing
  • Drug allergy:
  • Hives
  • Itchy skin/ Rashes
  • Wheezing
  • Anaphylaxis
  • Face swelling

How Do I Know Which One Is Making Me Sick?-

So as you can see, allergies and symptoms of toxic mold are extremely similar.Some hintspointing to mold could be if you've had any leaks recently and theseason, as it gets warmer mold grows more rapidly. Hair loss, fever, asthma attacks,vomitingand chronic fatigue are moresignificant signs that point towards mold, if you areexperiencing these symptoms do not wait for the problem to grow, see a medicalprofessional immediately.

How Can I Recover From Mold Poisoning?-

First things first, remove the mold. Ifthere is enough mold in your home to make you sick, you are probably better off callingin aprofessionalfor the job. Some people suggest doing a detox but there isn't a proven medical detox routine. Thebest thing you can dois let the body detox itself, eat well, rest,you can also take an over the counter antihistamine to reduce some of your allergy symptoms.

(P.S) If you are thinking of buying a new home always make sure to get a mold test during inspection, some homeowners may not even be aware of it themselves!


On The Outside

Mold also affects your skin, if you have sensitive skin oreczema you may experience flare ups, rashes, or hives. The skin is your largest organ and can be verytemperamental. A good home remedy is to take a bath using oats, milk, and a little bit of honey to calm the skin (there are manybath soak recipes). Only use hydrocortisone is theproblem persists.


Homemade Remedies